The government has made 6 commitments to the public to end variation in end of life care across the health system by 2020. These are:
- honest discussions between care professionals and dying people
- dying people making informed choices about their care
- personalised care plans for all
- the discussion of personalised care plans with care professionals
- the involvement of family and carers in dying people’s care
- a main contact so dying people know who to contact at any time of day
The commitments are in response to an independent review of end of life care.